Mar 022015
 

Well, it’s been a year and a half since I last posted details about the bicycle mobile station.  Shortly after getting the Talon on the road, setting it up with the top box and lighting, and having gotten the bugs worked out of that set-up, I decided to get a second mounting plate and set my daily commuter up the same way, doing away with the flimsy rear basket in place of a mounting plate for the top box.

VK4MSL/BM today after the trip home from work.

VK4MSL/BM today after the trip home from work.

That particular bike people might recognise from earlier posts, it’s my first real serious commuter bike. Now in her 5th year, has done over 10200km since 2012.  (The Talon has done 5643km in that time.) You can add to that probably another 5000km or so done between 2010 and 2012. It’s had a new rear wheel (a custom one, after having a spate of spoke breakages) and the drive chain has been upgraded to 9-speed. The latter upgrade alone gave it a new lease on life.

Both upgrades being money well spent, as was the upgrade to hydraulic brakes early in the bike’s lifetime. I suppose I’ve spent in those upgrades alone close to $1400, but worth it as it has given me quite good service so far.

As for my time with the top box. Some look at it and quiz me about how much weight it adds. The box itself isn’t that heavy, it just looks it. I can carry a fair bit of luggage, and at present, with my gear and tools in it it weighs 12kg. Heavy, but not too heavy for me to manage.

Initially when I first got it, it was great, but then as things flexed over time, I found I was intermittently getting problems with the top box coming off.  This cost me one HF antenna and today, the top box sports a number of battle-scars as a result.

The fix to this?  Pick a spot inside the top box that’s clear of the pannier rack rails and the rear tyre, and drill a 5mm hole through.  Then, when you mount the top box, insert an M5 bolt through the mounting plate and into the bottom of the top box and tighten with a 5mm wing nut.  The box now will not come loose.

vk4msl-bm-2713

Still lit up like a Christmas tree from this morning’s ride.

The lights still work, and now there’s a small rear-view camera.  On the TODO list is to rig up a 5V USB socket to power that camera with so that it isn’t draining the rather small internal battery (good for 4 hours apparently).

The station has had an upgrade, I bought a new LDG Z-100Plus automatic tuner which I’m yet to fully try out.  This replaces the aging Yaesu FC-700 manual tuner which, although very good, is fiddly to use in a mobile set-up and doesn’t tune 6m easily.

One on-going problem now not so much on the Boulder but on the Talon is an issue with pannier racks failing.  This started happening when I bought the pannier bags, essentially on the side I carry my battery pack (2kg), I repeatedly get the pannier rack failing.  The racks I use are made by Topeak and have a built-in spacer to accomodate disc brake calipers.  This seems to be a weak spot, I’ve now had two racks fail at about the same point.

Interestingly on the Boulder which also has disc brakes, I use the standard version of the same rack, and do not get the same failures.  Both are supposedly rated to 25kg, and my total load would be under 16kg. Something is amiss.

A recurring flaw with the Topeak racks

I’m on the look-out for a more rugged rack that will tolerate this kind of usage, although having seen this, I am inspired to try a DIY solution.  Then if a part fails, I can probably get replacement parts in any typical hardware store.  A hack saw and small drill are not heavy items to carry, and I can therefore get myself out of trouble if problems arise.