So… when laying out this board, I decided I’d swap the 74HC374 for the much nicer ‘574 for managing the MOSFETs. No problem, well, one minor snag, neither Jaycar nor Altronics carry the ‘574.
They carry the ‘374… Jaycar is where I got mine originally. They also carry the very similar ‘573. I had intended to order some ‘574s for when the boards arrived, but they sort of turned up unexpectedly… so didn’t get a chance.
The fundamental difference? Apart from the ‘574 being edge triggered, the ‘573 also is active high on the logic enable pin. I had wrongly assumed it was active low .
Naturally, I did try to hack around this fundamental difference:
Tried to get that leg in focus, but it’s difficult when the LCD of the camera is such low resolution (and the viewfinder is an even lower resolution LCD). Basically, I nibbled the leg of the IC with my sidecutters and bent it up. To the pad, I solder the gate of a 2N7000 MOSFET, bend the drain pin up to meet the now floating-in-air LE pin, and run a resistor (a 3k3) to Vcc.
That works somewhat… it might be possible to introduce some more state machine cycles to handle the kludge… although the real fix is to use the correct part in the first place.