Jul 022017
 

So… earlier in the week I received some 74HC574s (the right chip) to replace the 74HC573s I tried to use.

My removal technique was not pretty, wound up just cutting the legs off the hapless 74HC573 (my earlier hack had busted a pin on it anyway) and removing it that way. Since the holes were full of solder, it was easier to just bend the pins on the ‘574 and surface-mount it.

This afternoon, I gave it a try, and ‘lo and behold, it worked. I even tried hooking up one of the LED strings and driving that with the MOSFET… no problems at all.

I had only built up one of the modules at this stage, so I built another 5 on the same piece of strip board.

The requirement is for 5 channels… this meets that and adds an extra one (the board was wide enough). For the full accompaniment and to have ICSP/networking via external connections, a second board like this could be made, omitting the MOSFETs on four of the channels to handle the ICSP control lines and reducing the capacitances/resistances to suit.

Somewhere I have some TVS diodes for this board, but of course, they have legs, upon which they got up and ran away. Haven’t resurfaced yet. I’m sure they will if I buy more though. The spare footprint on the top-left of the main board is where one TVS diode goes, the others go on the I/O board, two for each channel.

Jun 112017
 

So… when laying out this board, I decided I’d swap the 74HC374 for the much nicer ‘574 for managing the MOSFETs. No problem, well, one minor snag, neither Jaycar nor Altronics carry the ‘574.

They carry the ‘374… Jaycar is where I got mine originally. They also carry the very similar ‘573. I had intended to order some ‘574s for when the boards arrived, but they sort of turned up unexpectedly… so didn’t get a chance.

The fundamental difference? Apart from the ‘574 being edge triggered, the ‘573 also is active high on the logic enable pin. I had wrongly assumed it was active low .

Naturally, I did try to hack around this fundamental difference:

Tried to get that leg in focus, but it’s difficult when the LCD of the camera is such low resolution (and the viewfinder is an even lower resolution LCD). Basically, I nibbled the leg of the IC with my sidecutters and bent it up. To the pad, I solder the gate of a 2N7000 MOSFET, bend the drain pin up to meet the now floating-in-air LE pin, and run a resistor (a 3k3) to Vcc.

That works somewhat… it might be possible to introduce some more state machine cycles to handle the kludge… although the real fix is to use the correct part in the first place.